Are you selling your home? If your house is about to go on the market, there are ways to make it more attractive to prospective buyers. You want your residence to sell quickly and for a good price. Staging a house puts its best foot forward. Here are some ways to get your property ready to greet buyers.
- Get in the Right Mindset: Perhaps you’ve spent a lot of time decorating your home, and it reflects your style and personality. When you’re getting ready to sell, you may have to detach your emotions. Start thinking of your home as a product that needs to appeal to a customer.
- Rent a Storage Unit: An important aspect of staging is removing clutter and personal items. A climate-controlled storage unitkeeps your belongings secure while your home is on the market.
- Remove Personal Items: Pack away photos, heirlooms, collectibles, books and other types of personalize items. If you plan on taking things like favorite light fixtures or built-in furniture, you may want to remove those at this time. While these items make your home warm, you want buyers to look at a clean slate. With a more neutral decor, people can imagine themselves and their belongings occupying the space.
- Donate Unwanted Items: Now is a good time to purge those items you never use. Portland has many charitable organizations that can use your clean, ready-to-use furniture, household items and clothing. Trash those things you don’t want and can’t be donated.
- Tame the Clutter: By now your home should be looking more streamlined. Remove the remaining clutter by keeping counters, tables and shelves clear. Stash your everyday essentials in containers that you can easily tuck in a cabinet.
- Arrange Furniture to Show Off Rooms: A home will show better with minimal furniture. Move extra tables, bookshelves and other items to your storage unit. Keep just enough to showcase the function of each room, and rearrange items to enhance your home’s floorplan.
- Clean Inside and Out: Your home needs to be pristine when a prospective buyer looks at it. Vacuum, sweep and clean everyday. Keep your closets and cabinets tidy. Buyers will want to check out the condition of a home’s storage. Clean sidewalks, patios and decks. Use a pressure washer where appropriate.
- Keep It Fresh: Clean musty-smelling areas. If you have pets, clean their areas with odor-neutralizing enzymes. Take garbage out everyday and think twice about what you cook before a showing. Your home should smell as good as it looks.
- Fix Broken Items: Make small repairs such as patching holes, repairing cracks, replacing missing hardware and lightbulbs and making sure doors open and close smoothly.
- Step-Up Curb Appeal: Does your home have curb appeal? If not, now is the time to make changes. Paint faded window trim, mow the lawn, weed gardens and prune shrubs. You may want to paint the front door, add potted plants or install more lighting.
Call on Portland’s Most Trusted Movers
A beautifully presented home sells more quickly. Master Movers can help you at any stage of the moving process. Our crew will pick up your belongings and take it our secure storage facilities. We can also help you rearrange the furniture within your home.
Contact us online or call us at (503) 762-1288.